This recipe is contagious. My friend Marigold Mom made it for me when we met for lunch the other day, and I was instantly hooked. I made it for a potluck lunch this afternoon and now my friends want to try out the recipe. The best thing about it (besides yumminess) is that it is really healthy!
I found this recipe on Dash of East where there are beautiful photographs and the recipe is given to serve 2 people.
I made a few tweaks and adjusted the size for a larger party, so here it is:
- 2 cups quinoa (this should feed 8 people and will probably have leftovers)
- 2 small packages of blueberries
- 2 mangoes, cut into small chunks
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 large cucumber, diced
- 1/3 cup feta cheese
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
Dressing (I improvised because I didn’t have lemon juice)
- 3 T olive oil
- 3 T white vinegar
- juice of one orange
- 1 T orange marmalade
- 15 basil leaves thinly sliced
- Rinse quinoa until the water is clear to remove extra starch. Heat 4 cups of water on the stove; add quinoa once it is boiling and cover. Boil for 12-15 minutes until quinoa is tender (taste a sample), then let sit covered for 5 minutes. Let cool to room temperature (to accelerate this process it can be spread out on a baking sheet).
- Put quinoa in serving dish and mix in other salad ingredients.
- Combine dressing ingredients and mix well. Drizzle over salad; toss with basil leaves. Serve immediately.
This salad is so versatile that I’m sure you could mix in any fruits or mild veggies that you have on had, and I’m sure it would also taste great with a different dressing (such as balsamic). Experiment with it!